Have you had experienced getting on an accident involving your face? Do you have tumor in the mouth that needs to be taken out? Do you need your impacted tooth to be extracted? Or just wanted to look more beautiful through surgical means? If one of your answers is yes, probably you want to familiarize yourself with the term oral and maxillofacial surgery.
Oral and maxillofacial surgery is a field in dentistry which focuses on the diagnosis and surgical treatment of diseases, imperfections and injuries of the head, face, neck and the soft and hard tissues of the mouth, face and jaws. The professional who performs this type of dental/medical surgery is called an oral and maxillofacial surgeon.
Oral and maxillofacial surgery encompasses different kinds of surgical procedure concerning the mouth, face and jaws of an individual. These procedures are:
- Cancer surgery of the mouth, jaw and neck – This surgery helps in the diagnosis and treatment of cancers in the oral and maxillofacial area. It also fixes acquired deformity of the face caused by growth of a malignancy.
- Cosmetic surgery – Otherwise known as facial aesthetic surgery, aims to correct and improve facial structures to beautify the face.
- Dento-alveolar surgery – This surgery is done to extract impacted tooth, especially the wisdom tooth, and other complicated types of dental extraction. This surgery also includes bone grafting or other preprosthetic surgery to fit a dental prosthesis in place.
- Facial deformity reconstruction – This surgery corrects most congenital facial deformity such as cleft lip and palate among children.
- Jaw and joint problems surgery – This type of surgery is responsible for the surgical treatment of temporomadibular joint disorder. It helps restore the normal function of an individual’s jaw joint thus eliminating the presence of pain in the area.
- Trauma surgery – This type of surgery treats the injured structures of the face caused by an accident.
Oral and maxillofacial surgery offers a variety of surgical treatments. It is good to have knowledge of these things because you might never know when you or a loved-one needs to undergo these surgical procedures.