When you have a tooth that is badly decayed, cracked, chipped, or partially missing, it increases your risk of developing a dental infection or disease. It’s also extremely uncomfortable and unattractive, which can cause you to be in constant pain or feel self-conscious about the appearance of your smile. Dr. Moshena Ahmad of All Star Dental in San Jose, California can help decrease pain while improving the functionality of the tooth by installing a dental crown. This procedure reduces your risk of additional dental problems and enhances your smile as well.
Understanding Dental Crowns
A common question that patients ask Dr. Ahmad is “What are dental crowns?” It makes sense that they want to understand the procedure better before agreeing to undergo it. A dental crown, also called a dental cap, is a permanent fixture that goes over the entire surface of your tooth to protect it from further damage. Dr. Ahmad also places a crown on teeth after a root canal procedure or to help attach a dental bridge. Before placing the dental cap, she removes a small amount of enamel from the surface of the tooth to ensure that it will remain in place.
Benefits of Receiving a Dental Crown
Dental crowns offer several benefits over other types of restorative dentistry. Some of the most common ones include:
- It allows the covered tooth to function as the rest of the natural teeth do
- You can continue to chew and enjoy all of your favorite foods
- Dental crowns mimic the look and function of natural teeth
- The health of other teeth surrounding the affected tooth isn’t jeopardized
- Dental crowns are permanent and secure in your mouth
- The seal created by the dental crown keeps bacteria out and helps to prevent additional decay
- The shape of your face won’t change due to have a partially missing tooth
Schedule Your Initial Appointment to Receive a Dental Crown
Dr. Ahmad usually only requires two sessions to place your new tooth crown. At the first session, she inspects your tooth and takes x-rays of the gum and bone surrounding it to make sure everything looks good to complete the procedure. Dr. Ahmad then takes an impression of the tooth and send the results to our dental laboratory. When the lab returns your new customized crown, we will call you to come in for a final fitting.
Please contact All Star Dental to learn more about the dental crown procedure and to discuss if you are a good candidate for it.